Sunday, June 23, 2013

Ireland Trip was Wonderful!


We just returned from a wonderful trip to Ireland. If you have the chance to go, I recommend it highly. It is an absolutely beautiful place with lots of interesting things to see and do. The people are very friendly and helpful. The food was delicious. The hotels were spacious and had all the modern comforts you could hope for (down comforters, lots of pillows, two beds in each room, TV, hair dryers, etc.) The towns have an annual competition for being the most beautiful. And no town may opt out of the competition. It wasn't until I got home that I realized that I hadn't seen one piece of litter the whole week. 

We chose a tour operated by CIE Tours called the "8-Day Irish Adventure." We traveled around the whole perimeter of the country, including Northern Ireland. (Relations are good between the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland. You don't notice when you pass from one to the other.) The price for the trip was $2,500 per person, including hotels, airfare from NYC, breakfasts, dinners, entertainment, and the tour on a sight-seeing bus with comfy seats. Prices vary depending on the time of year.

Ireland is a popular tourist destination for descendants of the 1 million Irish emigrants who moved to the US, Canada, and Australia during the famine in the 1840's. My great-grandmother came to the US from Waterford in the 1890's, and our traveling party was made up of two of her granddaughters and four great-granddaughters. Wouldn't she be surprised to know that we visited Ireland!

The photo above is a walking path near the Giant's Causeway in Northern Ireland (above).
Here are some more of my photos (below).



The Cliffs of Moher (above).



 Cottage in the town of Knock (above).


Part of the church where W. B. Yeats' grave is located (above).






My traveling buddies (l to r): me, Diane, Joan, Eileen, Bonnie and Mary, at the Titanic museum in Belfast.


This is the Library at Trinity College in Dublin (above). 




Charming pub in Waterford (above).



There are many castles and castle-like buildings around the country. Some are ruins and some are nice hotels. I'd like to go to Ireland again to explore the castles.

13 comments:

Shirley said...

Looks like you had a great time Karen.

Frog Quilter said...

Wow! I went with a Bonnie Hunter tour 10 days and we had a blast. Beautiful country!!!

FabricFascination said...

Your trip sounds fantastic! I passed through Ireland on a visit to Scotland (many years ago) and remember how beautiful it is. I like your comment about "no litter." They do seem to keep their neighborhoods remarkably clean.

Kim said...

What great memories for you all to share the trip together
it is so lovely there isn't it?

Did you look up your family history in Trinity college?

I love all the sheep wandering around the roads in the country side like they own the place. :0)

Happy Sewing

Jean said...

What a wonderful trip you had!I am Irish on my mom's side, so would love to visit some day. Seems like a great idea to take a tour like you did so that you won't miss anything!

Taos Sunflower said...

It looks and sounds like you had a fabulous trip. I'm glad you got to be there when the gorse is blooming! Your tour sounds like a great one. I drove when I was there so I undoubtedly missed a lot. Welcome back.

Linda said...

Sounds like a trip to remember for a lifetime! Hope you're recovered from the jetlag!

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Definitely on my bucket list! Wouldn't it be great id US took pride in no liter

JoAnne in southern California said...

Sounds wonderful! Your photos are so beautiful. I love the photo of the Library at Trinity College, I'd love to spend time there. Wow! Thanks for telling us about it. I might just be tempted to do some more traveling outside California.

regan said...

It's a dream vacation on my list! Your pics are gorgeous! And it's so nice to think that every town is proud and anxious to show itself off in the best light! I love that!

Jenny said...

That brought back memories! We travelled to UK some years ago from New Zealand for a 3 month trip. Hired rental cars, took the ferry across to Ireland. Drove around this lovely green country (not unlike NZ) staying in B&Bs. We had a great trip.

Dar said...

Great pictures. so glad you had a good time. It's on my to do list one day. So glad your mother got to go too. Good memories for many years to come.

FlourishingPalms said...

Oh. It sure DOES look like it was a wonderful trip! Love the scenery and the beautiful countryside. Those cliffs are awesome... and make me think of those I saw in Australia. Ireland is on my dream vacation list. Maybe someday... I'm very glad you got to go.